Friday, September 14, 2018

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

Jonah 4

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?” v10-11

Jonah's self-righteous attitude leads him to grow angry over not just the Lord's compassion for Nineveh (see v1-4), but also over how he believes the Lord fails to shelter him from the heat (see v7-9).  

In Jesus' day, the Jewish leaders cared more about their own opinion, status and comfort than about others' - in defiance of God's law as laid out by Moses (see Matthew 23, Exodus 20 and Matthew 22:37-40). 

All are deserving of God's grace and salvation - it's not up to us to decide...only God can do this.  We must put God first, then others....humility (vs self-righteousness and arrogance).  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are that You are so full of grace and compassion. You love me and You saved me while I was still sinning...and I continue to do so.  Thank You for Your love and grace. I am not worth such love.  I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.