Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Jonah 1

Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. v17

Most believers know Jonah's story - for a good overview check this out.  This overview draws a distinction in the book of Jonah to first God's compassion for Jonah, then God's compassion through Jonah.

Despite Jonah's sin of disobedience, for running from the Lord and running from the task of delivering a message of repentance to Nineveh, God is full of compassion for Jonah.  Jonah does not drown - he is swallowed by a great fish.  Note how God "provided" for Jonah.

In the same way, God is full of compassion and mercy for all of us - daily and throughout the day as we continue to sin.  We all desperately need a Savior and Jesus Christ is that Savior.  Without Jesus, we become slaves to sin and ultimately destined for eternal damnation.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, and who is full of compassion and mercy for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  I miss the mark - daily.  I often am harsh with others with my words and actions.  I sometimes slander.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.