Thursday, September 13, 2018

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

Jonah 3

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened. v10

This morning I am reminded of how God's grace and mercy is available to us all - even when we believe we have sinned beyond where God would provide such grace and mercy. See also verse 5:

The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

"[T]he greatest to the least" infers not just social, economic and political stature but also the degree to which people have sinned and disobeyed God.  You see...if we repent, salvation is available to ALL.  Paul was a murderer (Acts 7-8)...as was Moses and David (by way of conspiracy).  

Additionally, God redeemed the sin of these biblical heroes through the death of His Son Jesus Christ and used these people for something ONLY God could design and create.  I think also of Chuck Colson.  We should not question God's plan to save as we don't know God's plan for those He is saving (see also Isaiah 55:8).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an incredible God You are that You are able to use broken and sinful people like me to do incredible things.  I have seen the miracles in my own life that You have done.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such blessings.  I worry, am harsh with others, etc.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.