Saturday, April 11, 2020

Barak said to her, “If you go with me, I will go; but if you don’t go with me, I won’t go.”

Judges 4-5

Barak said to her, “If you go with me, I will go; but if you don’t go with me, I won’t go.” Judges 4:8

Day 75 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the story of Deborah the prophet as she urges Barak to attack Canaanite forces in the north central region of the promised land.  Another woman Jael also gains mention of her bravery killing Sisera, commander of Jabin's (local Canaanite king) army.

Barak is cautious and is not fully convinced that the Lord will give Israel's enemies into his hands as Deborah indicates in Judges 4:7.  Barak is not unlike Moses who in Exodus 3-4 expresses doubt to God about how God will help us through challenges.  Moses even asked the Lord to send someone else to confront Pharaoh and rescue the Israelites (Exodus 4:13).

Most of us have expressed doubt when we've felt led by God to serve - should I really do this? What about this concern or that concern?

John Piper tackles this concern head-on in this great post "How Do I Take Risks Without Being Unwise?".  Piper believes that "the burden of the New Testament is to infuse the faith and love that leans toward self-risk rather than toward self-protection."  His post provides six tests to help sort through this when the question arises.  Helpful counsel for sure.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has blessed me beyond what words can describe - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings - I am broken and my sin continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.