Thursday, April 30, 2020

David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.


David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years. 2 Samuel 5:4-5

Day 94 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on David's ascension to the throne over all of Israel, including resolution of civil war.  Conflict and internal strife is inevitable, of course this is true also within the church. Check out this great post from DesiringGod.com where we are encouraged to tackle conflict head-on as conflict becomes an opportunity for grace.  The post provides examples of how Old Testament prophets, Peter, Paul and others tackled conflict head-on, resulting in God's glory on display and an advancing gospel.  It goes on to talk about how Jesus did not back down from heading into Jerusalem, ultimately going to the cross. The post includes a scriptural example from 2 Timothy where Paul writes Timothy about how to deal with false teachers and other opponents of the faith where differences manifest themselves:

And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will. 2 Timothy 2:24-26

I, for one, am greatly convicted by this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has been gentle with me even though I know I am quite undeserving.  Thank You Jesus.  But again, I am not deserving.  My sin continues, including being harsh with others in conflict.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.