Wednesday, April 8, 2020

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Joshua 22-24


So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6-7

Day 72 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Joshua's farewell address to the Israelites, and he both encourages faithfulness to the Lord and warns them of harsh consequences of unfaithfulness.  He reminds the Israelites of what the Lord has done for them.  His words include the following passages:

You yourselves have seen everything the Lord your God has done to all these nations for your sake; it was the Lord your God who fought for you. Remember how I have allotted as an inheritance for your tribes all the land of the nations that remain—the nations I conquered—between the Jordan and the Mediterranean Sea in the west.  Joshua 23:4-5

“The Lord has driven out before you great and powerful nations; to this day no one has been able to withstand you. One of you routs a thousand, because the Lord your God fights for you, just as he promised.  Joshua 23:9-10

You know with all your heart and soul that not one of all the good promises the Lord your God gave you has failed. Every promise has been fulfilled; not one has failed.  Joshua 23:14

This last verse echos sentiments I posted yesterday on how God keeps ALL of His promises as He is faithful.

Broadly speaking, by encouraging the Israelites to remember what God has done, Joshua encourages a heart of gratitude and thankfulness, which John Piper in this great post refers to as "an essential guardian of the soul, and therefore we should guard ourselves with gratitude".  He goes on to say:  "[e]vidently we are fair game for the devil when we don't abound with thanksgiving. Unless the song of thanksgiving is being sung in our hearts the enemy outside will deceive his way into the city of our soul, and the enemy sympathizers within will make his job easy".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has done SO much for me - my words cannot do justice for the many blessings You have and continue to pour out on me.  Thank You Jesus!  God is good!  I am not deserving of such a great God.  I continue to sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.