Sunday, April 5, 2020

For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.  Joshua 11:20

Day 69 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the general conquest by the Israelites of the promised land - 31 kings and their people.  My commentary* refers to this is as a general conquest as leaders subsequent to Joshua still have battles to win and land to conquer - but for now the "land [is at] rest from war" (Joshua 11:23).

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Of note during this period of conquest:
- Joshua and the Israelites made a treaty under oath with the Gibeonites without inquiring of the Lord (Joshua 9:14-15)
- God performs several miracles, including sending great hailstorms that killed more men than by swords (Joshua 10:11) and stopping the sun from setting to allow the Israelites complete victory over the five Amorite kings (Joshua 10:12-14)
- We see complete obedience by Joshua (Joshua 11:15)
- God hardens hearts of Israel's enemies, thus providing cause for total destruction "without mercy" (Joshua 11:20)

This morning my focus is how God hardens and softens hearts - we are completely at His mercy for both our faith and salvation and any condemnation we face.  

All believers know others with hardness of heart and it pains us - yet John Piper gives us hope that God can and does soften hearts.  We should continue to be the hands and feet of Jesus, share the Good News of Jesus Christ, and pray for softened hearts.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has softened my heart to ask for salvation, forgiveness and for a softened heart - at Your great mercy, You provided!  Thank You Jesus - I am not deserving.  I continue to sin...daily.  Please forgive me and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.