Tuesday, April 28, 2020

But David found strength in the Lord his God.

1 Samuel 25-30, 1 Chronicles 12:1-22

But David found strength in the Lord his God. 1 Samuel 30:6

Day 92 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues to focus on David on the run from Saul.  He and his men encounters Nabal, a wealthy but evil man who refuses to provide for David's army.  Nabal's wife Abigail provides for David and his men and the Lord strikes down Nabal, and David takes Abigail as one of his wives.  David once again is in a position to kill Saul (1 Samuel 26) but again does not take matters into his own hands (see yesterday and another recent post).  David gains refuge among the Philistines strangely enough but they will not allow him to fight Saul alongside them.  David's forces grow as many men abandon Saul and join David, joining the Thirty among David's might warriors (1 Chronicles 12).  The Amalekites sack David's home in Ziklag (1 Samuel 30) and he and his men are distraught over their families being taken captive and the town destroyed.  Yet David finds strength in the Lord, and goes to the Lord in prayer for wisdom about whether to attack the Amalekites (1 Samuel 30:7-8).

David's life is far from a life free of trouble - although he is anointed he is on the run from Saul for what some estimate as four years (while others choose not to speculate).  Jesus makes many promises for blessings but at least one difficult promise - that we will have trouble, particularly as believers (John 16:33).  David's life I suppose might have been easier had he killed Saul when he had the chance - arguably not from a believers perspective as God might see this as an attempt to thwart His plans. Regardless, the larger point remains that we should expect trouble and as David did, find strength in the Lord.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me strength.  I am not deserving for how You love me and give me strength.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.