Saturday, April 18, 2020

Then all the Israelites, the whole army, went up to Bethel, and there they sat weeping before the Lord. They fasted that day until evening and presented burnt offerings and fellowship offerings to the Lord. And the Israelites inquired of the Lord. (In those days the ark of the covenant of God was there, with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, ministering before it.) They asked, “Shall we go up again to fight against the Benjamites, our fellow Israelites, or not?”

Judges 19-21

 Then all the Israelites, the whole army, went up to Bethel, and there they sat weeping before the Lord. They fasted that day until evening and presented burnt offerings and fellowship offerings to the Lord. And the Israelites inquired of the Lord. (In those days the ark of the covenant of God was there, with Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, ministering before it.) They asked, “Shall we go up again to fight against the Benjamites, our fellow Israelites, or not?” Judges 20:26-28

Day 82 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the Israelites continued sin, this time of the Benjamites, and to a certain extent of the other tribes whose methods to forgive, restore and reconcile the Benjamites to all of Israel, according to my commentary* demonstrated "extremely questionable moral judgment". 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Unfortunately, this is what sin does if we don't stop - in infects not just us but it can easily spread to the others around us and it can often lead to great internal strife - as it does here where the acts of a few lead to thousands of people dead.  The attempts and methods by Israel to forgive the tribe of Benjamin are not any less sinful and are reminiscent of other Biblical accounts to either cover up sin or make things right in our own eyes.  Judges 21:25 sums up (once again) this sad state of affairs: In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit (see also post yesterday).

Within today's reading, there ARE however glimmers of hope for what we SHOULD be doing - going to God for forgiveness and counsel when we are either dealing with sin in our own lives or in the lives of others.  This occurs several times in Judges 20 (v1,18, 23, 26); v35 captures God's will be done and stands in contrast to what my commentary* indicates how "the nation of Israel has sunk to a low ebb in which moral authority is no higher than self-will".

We should not stray from God and if we DO, we must repent and turn to Him.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has forgiven me of my sins and given me victory over the sting of sin and death - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such an amazing gift.  I continue to sin - help me repent and turn to You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.