Monday, April 6, 2020

Then Joshua blessed Caleb son of Jephunneh and gave him Hebron as his inheritance. So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite ever since, because he followed the Lord, the God of Israel, wholeheartedly.

Then Joshua blessed Caleb son of Jephunneh and gave him Hebron as his inheritance. So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite ever since, because he followed the Lord, the God of Israel, wholeheartedly.  Joshua 14:13-14

Day 70 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the division of the promised land by tribe with half of Manasseh, the Reubenites and the Gadite settling east of the Jordan, and the remaining 9.5 tribes settling west of the Jordan.

Both Joshua and Caleb are very old at this point (see Joshua 13:1, 14:10) yet at least Caleb feels strong and vigorous at 85 years old.  Caleb remarks how, even at his age he feels strong enough to enter battle, particularly with the Lord on his side (Joshua 14:10-12).

Contrast Caleb with those of Manesseh who are fearful of those in their allotment.

Then Joshua blessed Caleb son of Jephunneh and gave him Hebron as his inheritance. So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite ever since, because he followed the Lord, the God of Israel, wholeheartedly.  Joshua 14:13-14

The people of Joseph complain in 17:14-16, indicating they do not have enough land and the land is occupied by a strong people.  

But Joshua said to the tribes of Joseph—to Ephraim and Manasseh—“You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment but the forested hill country as well. Clear it, and its farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have chariots fitted with iron and though they are strong, you can drive them out.”  Joshua 17:17:18

Fear and the resulting emotions (worry, etc.) often drive much of our lives but we should gain confidence and peace knowing God is always with us and will help us conquer the battles we face - we don't know the ultimate outcome of the battles we face but we DO know that one way or another God wins and we get the benefit - victory over the sting of sin and death.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know that You are always with me, fighting on my behalf and giving me victory over the sting of sin and death.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I DO worry and I have other sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and, love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.