Friday, April 3, 2020

This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham: Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King David.


This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham: Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of King David. Matthew 1:1-6

Day 67 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Joshua's initial days as leader of the Israelites as they prepare to cross the Jordan River into the promised land.  Joshua must prepare the Israelites for battle and his spies encounter Rahab, a prostitute (see Joshua 2), who provides critical assistance against Jericho.  Rahab is also in the line of Jesus (see Matthew 1 for genealogy).  In the crossing of the Jordan, the Israelites experience a miracle parting of the waters (see Joshua 3) - just as they did with the parting of the Red Sea during their exodus from Egypt.

God's use of Rahab as an instrument of His plan is of course instructive.  I've previously posted on Rahab - nearly 10 years ago.

God's words of "be strong and courageous" echo this morning in this larger context of how He uses Rahab.  Rahab likely had no idea how she was to be used, and perhaps as a prostitute did not feel as if she was worthy of such use by God, but she demonstrated strength and courage in her belief in God vs strength and courage in her abilities absent God (or vs God).  Our strength and courage must rest in God.

When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below. Joshua 2:11

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who gives us life, including strength and courage, particularly during these times of great crisis.  I am not deserving of such love and blessing as I sin and am often harsh to others.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.