Thursday, April 23, 2020

For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.

1 Samuel 14-15

For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. 1 Samuel 15:23

Day 87 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Saul's utter disregard for the Lord's instructions with regards to how Saul should attack and completely destroy (1 Samuel 15:3) the Amalekites - nothing is to be spared - none of the "men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys" are to be spared in the attack.  But we see in 1 Samuel 15:9 Saul's disobedience.  

Note Samuel's very harsh and blunt response in v23 - that "rebellion (disobedience) is like the sin of divination" (which is akin to idolatry according to John Piper here).  Saul's action is not simply flirting with sin as I posted here - but explicit sin of commission. 

We can then understand how the Lord and Samuel ultimately reject Saul as king.

We do see hints that may help illuminate why Saul behaved as he did.

His own insecurities (vs humility) led him to seek approval of men vs approval of God. We see Saul seeking either his own glory vs that of God in a few places: 1 Samuel 15:12 (set up monument for his own glory), 1 Samuel 15:24 (afraid of own men), and 1 Samuel 15:30 (seeking his own honor "before the elders of my people and before Israel"). 

Caution for all of us who blatantly disobey God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is always with me, providing for all of my needs - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I continue to sin...daily.  Help me turn from my sin towards You and love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.