Sunday, April 26, 2020

Then the Spirit came on Amasai, chief of the Thirty, and he said: “We are yours, David! We are with you, son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you.” So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands.

1 Samuel 21-22:5, Psalms 56, 34, 142 and 1 Chronicles 12:8-18 

Then the Spirit came on Amasai, chief of the Thirty, and he said: “We are yours, David! We are with you, son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you.”  So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands. 1 Chronicles 12:18

Day 90 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on David on the run from Saul - he needs refuge, provision, confidence, etc. - and the Lord provides.  David leans on the Lord (as Psalms 56 and 142 record) and praises Him (Psalm 34) for how God hears and responds to his cries.  Of note here is how, consistent with my post yesterday how Jonathan loved David as himself and provided great assistance to David, we see David's mighty men coming to his assistance.

God of course provides these other men and the Spirit came on Amasai, chief of the Thirty.  At first, David is leery of the men seeking to join him (1 Chronicles 12:17) but once the Spirit came on Amasai, David sees this as a God-inspired movement and David welcomes these men.

Again as I posted yesterday, we need these other brothers and sisters in Christ, and in particular, believing men need other believing men.  We can recognize these other men by seeing how fruits of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22) manifest themselves in their lives.  We can also see how other men see our heart condition (see 1 Samuel 16:7), and how they discern a shared hunger and thirst for righteousness (see Matthew 5:6, and Acts 2:44).

My Prayer: Jesus, You are indeed an awesome God who loves me and who has provided many mighty men and warriors who have strengthened me in my journey with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am grateful but not deserving.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me be a mighty man and warrior for others and other men.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.