Wednesday, April 15, 2020

This, then, is the family line of Perez: Perez was the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, Boaz the father of Obed, Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of David.

Ruth 1-4

This, then, is the family line of Perez: Perez was the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram, Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, Boaz the father of Obed, Obed the father of Jesse, and Jesse the father of David. Ruth 4:18-22

Day 79 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the story of Ruth, a young widower Moabite woman with great loyalty and love for her mother-in-law, an older widower Israelite woman named Naomi.

John Piper has a great summary of Ruth and he believes the key takeaway from Ruth is that "[i]t was written and it has been preached to give you some...encouragement and hope that all the perplexing turns in your life lately are not dead-end streets. In all the setbacks of your life as a believer God is plotting for your joy."

Both Ruth and Naomi suffer greatly but lean on each other.  In my view this is another great takeaway - unity centered on faith among believers helps us persist through the trials and tribulations of life.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me great men and women believers who have helped me walk through dark valleys - thank You Jesus!  My faith has been strengthened through these people - angels indeed.  I am not deserving of how You bless me with these angels.  I continue to sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.