Monday, April 13, 2020

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Judges 8-9

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

Day 77 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Gideon's final victory over Zebah and Zalmunna, the kings of Midian, and the remaining Midianite soldiers in battle.  Upon Gideon's death, we see Abimelek, Gideon's son - who was wicked in the eyes of the Lord (starting with killing all of his brothers except one) as he led the Israelites to prostitute themselves to the Baals.

Abimelek lost his way - he did not choose the path of righteousness as his father did.  Parents, myself included, worry and grieve over lost children.  I pray near daily (I should pray incessantly) for my kids and too often act out of worry which is not prudent.

I am comforted by John Piper's words on this topic.  Piper advises us to "hand over our souls and the souls of our children to the sovereign goodness and wisdom of God and forsake anxiety....We must build our present lives on the gospel and not on parenting successes and not be undone by parenting failures."  Piper wants us to "weave together" the following scriptures:

Romans 9:2-3: I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race...[.]

Romans 10:1: Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.

Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I also take comfort in 1 Peter 5:7: Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who wants me to cast all of my cares to You.  I KNOW You care for me, and You hear my prayers and cries.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love and the gift of salvation.  My sin continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.