Thursday, November 5, 2020

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

1 Chronicles 1, 2, 4, 3

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.  God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. Psalm 68:5-6

Day 285 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* turns to the book of 1 Chronicles where genealogies are recorded "from Adam to Noah to Abraham and Isaac; the descendants of Esau (the Edomites); and the 12 tribes descending from Jacob (Israel), with the exception of Dan and Zebulun. Special emphasis is given to the royal tribe of Judah, the priestly line of Levi, and the Benjamite genealogy of King Saul."  My commentary* notes that "An important part of any nation’s history is the preservation of national archives. Genealogical records are particularly vital to the division and ownership of property, to marriages and inheritance, to right of office, and to royal privilege. Perhaps one of the most important reasons for the genealogies will not be fully appreciated until the Messiah is born. At that time one of the many proofs of his messiah-ship will be that he is of the lineage of King David and the house of Judah, just as the prophets have foretold.....Although they do not make particularly exciting reading, their importance to the nation at this time cannot be overstated."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

I am reminded of the genealogy recorded by Matthew that describes Jesus lineage from Abraham.

For me, at least a couple of takeaways.  God promised a messiah and that the messiah would come from Abraham and David's line.  God fulfilled a promise with Jesus.  God is faithful.  We also all have an earthly father but more importantly we have a heavenly father in Jesus (Abba).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Abba, You are a good, good Father - and my Lord and Savior.  Thank You for coming to save me and for never leaving or forsaking me.  I love You.  I am not deserving of such a God.  I continue to sin, including worry, gossip, etc. Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.