Saturday, November 21, 2020

Consider carefully what you hear[.]...Therefore consider carefully how you listen.

Matthew 13, Mark 4, Luke 8, 13

Consider carefully what you hear[.]...Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Mark 4:24, Luke 8:18

Day 300 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - focusing on Jesus' use of parables which my commentary notes "[t]hese illustrations of a moral truth or principle are usually in the form of a simple comparison. As often as not, Jesus’ parables are comparisons with things either found in nature or known through human experience. Although Jesus says the parables will have the effect of concealing truth, he must have in mind those hearers whose hearts are closed to his teaching. Most of the lessons are fairly simple to understand and especially well-suited for the common man, to whom Jesus directs his teaching.  Many parables are recorded by the Gospel writers throughout Jesus’ ministry, but a particular series has been collected, principally by Matthew, which gives unique insight into Jesus’ use of these simple illustrations."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

As Jesus uses these parables, He tells us (captured by both Mark and Luke) to be careful with how we receive His words.  Many parables of farming are used with the implication that farming requires effort, first to prepare the soil for seed, then to water and tend the soil, and to prevent weeds from choking out the harvest. DesiringGod.com has a great post that emphasizes these critical efforts.  We must cultivate a personal relationship with Jesus.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me faith and blessed me abundantly...beyond what I deserve.  I am grateful.  But my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.