Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Matthew 5-7, Luke 6

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6

Day 297 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - focusing this morning on the Sermon on the Mount. My commentary indicates that this sermon "[c]over[s] a broad spectrum of spiritual topics, [and] Jesus speaks of the nature of the kingdom, of repentance, of faith, and of worship—and particularly of prayer and humility. Always demonstrating a concern for human welfare, Jesus deals specifically with family and social relationships and discusses at length the effect of possessions on one’s faith and peace of mind. The discourse begins beautifully with the blessings in store for the righteous, and harshly with the woes which will befall those whose lives are spiritually rebellious."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

While this sermon is rich with teachings, each of which are important and worthy of their own reflection and study unto itself, the promise of Matthew 5:6 has always been one of favorite of the entire Bible. Matthew 22:34-40 and Exodus 20 (The Ten Commandments) both refer to the greatest commandment, which is to love God. Matthew 5:6 expresses this commandment in words that drive us to God with urgency and also with a promise of satisfaction - a promise that I can personally say is true as are all of God's promises.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing and faithful God and all of Your promises come true as "no word from God ever fails".  I know this in my life.  Thank You Jesus for Your faithfulness.  I am not deseving of such faithfulness and love. My sin continues...worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.