Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Nehemiah 13, 12

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Day 284 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with the book of Nehemiah where Nehemiah, after the completion of the temple wall, briefly leaves Jerusalem to consult with Artaxerxes in Susa, and my commentary* describes how, during this period, "some of the people back in Palestine to forget the covenant they made when Nehemiah was with them. Since then, they have neglected and desecrated the temple, violated the Sabbath, failed to continue temple offerings, and begun again to marry foreign wives".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Today's reading is a reminder that we must make our relationship with God a priority - above everything else - and be mindful of how earthly influences and Satan seek to get in the way of our relationship with God. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is the source of all things and You sustain all things - without out I would be completely lost and damned.  Thank You for guiding me, rescuing me, and sustaining me...and so much more!  I am not deserving of how You love me and bless me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.