Sunday, November 15, 2020

He must become greater; I must become less.

John 1-4, Luke 3

He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:30

Day 294 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* moves further into the New Testament - focusing this morning on Jesus' early days of His ministry, including the calling of the first disciples - Andrew, Simon (Peter), Philip, and Nathanael - and the first of Jesus' miracles: turning water into wine at the wedding in Cana, and the healing of the royal official's son in Capernaum.  The reading from this morning also includes Jesus driving the merchants from the temple, His teaching of Nicodemus, Jesus interaction with the woman at the well in Samaria, and it ends with my commentary* noting how John the Baptist is arrested.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition

Again, there are numerous aspects of scripture where one can focus but I am stuck by how John the Baptist acknowledges how he must be less as Jesus is greater. John the Baptist's position and status was growing and it took great humility for him to accept His mission - to tell others that the Messiah so many had been waiting for had arrived.  Humility is one of the most important character traits of a believer and John Piper discusses it in this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and all that I am and all that I possess is from You - without You I am and have nothing.  Thank You Jesus for blessing me - my cup runs over.  I am not deserving of such blessings and of Your love.  My sin is great and daily, including worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.