Friday, November 13, 2020

After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.

Matthew 2 and Luke 2

 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Luke 2:46

Day 292 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* moves further into the New Testament - focusing this morning on the early life of Jesus up through the time before He starts His ministry. This includes a visit from the Magi, Joseph/Mary/Jesus' escape to Egypt under threat of Herod's order to kill all male children in Bethlehem, and Jesus' growth and maturity.  The commentary* notes: "Little more is known of Jesus’ first 30 years. It is known that Jesus has at least four brothers—James, Joses, Judas (Jude), and Simon—and also some sisters, who are not named. Because there is no further reference to Joseph, it appears that he probably died while Jesus was still a relatively young man. The support of his mother and younger brothers and sisters, therefore, would naturally fall upon Jesus as the firstborn. For many years, then, Jesus evidently has provided for his family by working as a carpenter, having learned the trade from his father."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition

Jesus' listening and asking questions among the teachers in the temple give us instruction on how all believers, regardless of age or maturity, are to "gr[o]w in wisdom and stature" (Luke 2:52). 

While John Piper, in this post, urges pastors in particular to take heed of this call for wisdom, Piper uses the text to call all of His children to strive for wisdom and stature in the Lord.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is the source of all wisdom and knowledge - without You, I would have nothing and I would be completely lost and damned as well. Thank You Jesus for giving me light and life - I am grateful...and undeserving.  My sin continues.  Please forgive me for my worry, lack of action, etc.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind.  Help me love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.