Friday, November 20, 2020

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Luke 11-13

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:48

Day 299 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - focusing on primarily Jesus' teachings, particularly on hypocrisy as the Pharisees and Jewish leaders questioned Jesus on matters of the law while they failed to follow key aspects of the law.  On the question of hypocrisy, Jesus gives us the Parable of the Watchful Servants (Luke 12) which talks to those of us in positions of leadership and influence - and John Piper has a warning for us: "[t]he more knowledge you have of God’s will, the more you are accountable for doing it."

As someone in a position of influence - at least in my own household - I am driven into the arms of Jesus as God can only equip and assist me if I remain (abide) in Him.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:1-8

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has helped me produce good fruit and I know it is only because of You - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You have helped me produce good fruit - nor am I deserving of any of the blessings You pour out on me.  My sin continues...worry, distracted by the world, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.