Monday, November 23, 2020

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

Matthew 9-11, 14, Mark 6, Luke 9
 
I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. Ephesians 1:18-21

Day 302 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - focusing on Jesus' selection and sending out of the twelve apostles. My commentary* notes: '[i]nterestingly, Jesus does not appear to place particular emphasis on organization, methods of evangelism, or academic religious training. The 12 apostles are mostly of simple education, but the power of Christ is with them."

This morning's reading also includes Herod's act to behead John the Baptist.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Of note with regard to the sending of the twelve:

- Jesus gives the twelve authority (Matthew 10:1–4, Mark 6:7, Luke 9:1, 2)

- They are to proclaim the message and not focus on the outcome (Matthew 10:5–15, Mark 6:8–11, Luke 9:3–5)

- They will be opposed, just as Jesus was

Each of the above are noteworthy in and of itself, but for me this morning, how Jesus gave the twelve authority is key.  Just as Jesus gave the twelve authority, so it is with all believers.  We must understand that Jesus gave all believers that same power that raised Jesus from the dead.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave me the same power that raised You from the dead - You bless me beyond what I deserve.  I am grateful, but I do not deserve Your love and the many blessings You pour out on me.  Please forgive me for my worry, and my focus on the world.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength and energy.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.