Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Mark 1:1, John 1:1-18, and Luke 1:1-4 

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. John 1:12-13

Day 289 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* moves into the New Testament and notes, with the Gospels as a starting point, "[a]ll is now ready for the most important event in human history. It is an event planned even before the creation of the world. It is the keeping of a promise made to Abraham over 2000 years earlier....Until now God’s blessings have been reserved mostly for a chosen people, but now they are to become available to all people in every generation....But because his teaching challenges traditional practices of the Jewish religion of his day, and because he claims divine authority, Jesus meets strong opposition from religious leaders." 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Although I've posted this previously, I am reminded of it this morning - John Piper's post on how though we may all be created by God, only those who are believers are children of God, adopted into His family. 

Similarly, and naturally, this rebirth into God's family, means we are citizens of Heaven and our allegiance lies there first and foremost. This is particularly relevant for those in the U.S. today as many may be uneasy about an election. Belief in the lamb (Jesus Christ), and not in any party or public official, is what provides us the peace we so desperately seek.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who humbled Himself as a man and then died on the cross for me - so that I would have life...incredible.  The greatest gift of all time.  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues - gossip, worry, etc.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.