Thursday, November 26, 2020

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Matthew 16-18, Mark 8-9, Luke 9,17

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. Matthew 16:25, Mark 8:35, Luke 9:24

Day 305 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on how Jesus prepares ..."his chosen disciples for his death and to strengthen their ministry in carrying on his work. At this point in Jesus’ ministry the apostles are truly convinced that Jesus is the Messiah, but apparently they too have notions of a political Messiah. Realizing that their understanding of his messiah-ship is still very limited, and that their somewhat simplistic faith will be tested, Jesus begins to tell the apostles about his death, as well as the burdens which they themselves will face. Talk of their Leader’s imminent death must surely confuse these men, who have hopes of playing key roles in a wholly different kind of kingdom."*

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

The reading this morning includes the Transfiguration (Matthew 17), as well as teachings on humility. 

Just as Jesus prepares the twelve for their mission, we too must understand the burdens and cost of following Jesus.  Yet John reminds us that obedience to God is not burdensome.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. 1 John 5:1-4 

Paul provides similar words - comparing his comfort and power from his position as a Jewish leader to now following Jesus:

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:7-11 

It helps for us to focus on how we are not citizens of this world but instead citizens of Heaven and investing eternally.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave me faith.  You also helped me grow in my humility (more work here...) and see how following You is not burdensome.  Thank You Jesus - for these blessings and so much more.  I am grateful.  I am also not deserving.  I worry, and I have other sin...please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.