Saturday, November 7, 2020

Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness"[.]

 Old Testament (OT): Genesis 1 - Malachi 4

Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness"[.] Exodus 34:5-6

Day 286 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* pauses to reflect on the entirety of the Old Testament from the beginning through the teachings of Ezra and Nehemiah.  This pause coincides with what my commentary* refers to as the historical interlude (425 B.C. to 5 B.C.) between the Old Testament and the New Testament - which of course starts withe coming of the promised Messiah Jesus Christ. 

 *Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

With the OT, we see a God who is rich in mercy and compassion, patient, slow to anger and abounding in love, and faithful

John Piper offers this great brief explanation for what he believes is the value of the Old Testament for believers. At the end of this explanation, he offers up two benefits of the OT for believers:

"First, meeting God for who he really is so that we can know him and worship him since his character was revealed as truly in the Old Testament as in the New Testament."

"Second, letting the hundreds of promises in the Old Testament wash over you as your blood-bought birthright in Christ Jesus so that every day, you set yourself free from sin by the superior pleasures of the promises of God."

Of the many attributes of God, one of my favorite is how God is slow to anger and abounding in love.  These words are described many times (not with these exact words) and with these exact words 7 times, including one occasion when God spoke to Moses in Exodus 34 as He instructed Moses to carve out new stone tablets for the Ten Commandments.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are all knowing, all powerful, perfect, and I know personally how You are slow to anger and abounding in love.  I am not deserving of how You have poured out Your love for me.  My sin continues...worry, etc.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.