Thursday, December 1, 2022

And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.”

Luke 1

And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.” Luke 1:16-17

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 1 of Advent and Piper provides for us a daily devotion for Advent.  He starts by urging us (using Luke 2:11) to meditate on how we all sin and need a savior.  Piper writes: "[i]f you don’t need a Savior, you don’t need Christmas. Christmas will not have its intended effect until we feel desperately the need for a Savior. Let these short Advent meditations help awaken in you a bittersweet sense of need for the Savior." Next, he encourages (using Psalm 139:23-24) us to examine our hearts and make room in our hearts for Jesus. He then moves to inspire us to "build God-centered anticipation and excitement into [our] home." He wraps the devotion by stirring us to "be much in the Scriptures," in particular through scripture memorization.  He ends by referring us to Jeremiah 23:29 as he wants us to "[g]ather ’round that fire [God's Word] this Advent season. It is warm. It is sparkling with colors of grace. It is healing for a thousand hurts. It is light for dark nights."  What great words for us and a great start to Advent. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are and I am excited for Advent and the season of Christmas where we celebrate Your birth.  You are worthy of this excitement and all the glory!  I am not deserving of what You do for me.  My sin is great and it continues...fear of man, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.