Monday, December 26, 2022

“For the waves of death encompassed me, the torrents of destruction assailed me[.]...This God—his way is perfect[.]

2 Samuel 22

“For the waves of death encompassed me, the torrents of destruction assailed me[.]...This God—his way is perfect[.] 2 Samuel 22:5, 31

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, and John Piper moves on from Advent and Christmas to examines how calamity demonstrates that God's ways are both mysterious yet perfect, and that God's providence extends over all including destruction and death.  Piper pulls from scripture the following responses to calamity:

  1. Satan is not ultimate; God is.  Looking at Job, Piper writes: "Satan had a hand in Job’s misery, but not the decisive hand....Satan brings misery. But Satan is not ultimate or decisive. He is on a leash. He goes no farther than God decisively permits."
  2. [Satan] is not the decisive cause of [death]; God is. Looking at the world's greatest natural disaster in December 2004 (earthquake that caused tsunami in Indian Ocean that killed 230,000), Piper shares how even though Satan may have created the earthquake, God could have stopped the waves - He did not. See also Psalm 89:8–9 and Luke 8:24 where God has power over the sea and wind.
  3. Destructive calamities in this world mingle judgment and mercy.  Using a number of Biblical examples, including Jesus's death on the cross, Piper describes how both judgement and mercy are found in calamity.  Often we don't understand how judgement may be in play - this is the mystery of God. Using Job as an example, Piper writes "God’s purposes are not simple. Job was a godly man and his miseries were not God’s punishment."
  4. The heart that Christ gives to his people feels compassion for those who suffer, no matter what their faith is.  Using Romans 12:15, Piper urges us to "weep with those who weep."
  5. Finally, Christ calls us to show mercy to those who suffer, even if they do not deserve it. Piper shares how this is the definition of mercy - it is undeserved.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You reign over all, including Satan and calamity.  Thank You for how You demonstrate mercy in my life - I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.