Friday, December 16, 2022

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:9-11

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 16 of Advent, and today John Piper shares how God orchestrates and uses setbacks to reveal and unfurl His glory and fulfill His plan.  We can't see all of what God is doing or thinking (Isaiah 55:8) as God's thoughts and ways are not our ways. Yet believers see God's hand in the Bible and in our own lives as He uses adversity and setbacks as part of His plan.  In the Bible, of course Jesus came as a baby, lived a sinless and perfect live, but suffered and died on the cross as the final sacrifice for all of humanity's sins for all times.  The Bible is full of such winding roads and setbacks to His glory.  Piper uses the story of Joseph in the book of Genesis as one of many examples.  Joseph became a slave, then a prisoner, before his dreams/vision became a reality.  We are urged to see how God exalts those who pick up their cross and follow Jesus - by suffering as Jesus did. Piper wraps up today's devotion by stating:"[a]nd this is God’s way for us too. We are promised glory — if we will suffer with him as it says in Romans 8:17. The way up is down. The way forward is backward. The way to success is through divinely appointed setbacks. They will always look and feel like failure. But if Joseph and Jesus teach us anything this Christmas it is this: What Satan and sinful men meant for evil, “God meant it for good!” (Genesis 50:20)." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your ways and thoughts are not my own, but I can trust that You are good, faithful, and You work all things for good. Thank You Jesus. I am not deserving of how You are good to me.  My sin is great and it continues....daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.