Friday, December 23, 2022

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Romans 5

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:10-11

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 23 of Advent, and today John Piper looks at how God reconciles us to Himself through Jesus Christ.  Believers know that reconciliation is at the heart of the gospel.  We all sin, sin separates us from Christ, but Christ died to forgive our sins - forever - so that believers could have life now in abundance, and forever with Him in Heaven (John 3:16-18, 10:10)...with Christ now in our hearts, God is with us...always (Matthew 28:20) - Emmanuel.  Piper describes how Christ purchased this reconciliation for us, how Christ enabled us to receive this reconciliation, and finally, how Christ came into the world as flesh (see also post from 2 days ago on incarnation) so that we can exalt and worship Him.  Piper wraps the devotion today by exhorting us to respond: "Exult in [Christ]. Experience him as your pleasure. Know him as your treasure."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, who purchased my reconciliation, who enabled me to receive it, and You give me Yourself so that I can exalt and worship You - and I know this is why I exist.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings and gifts.  My sin is great and it continue...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.