Saturday, December 24, 2022

 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning.

1 John 3

 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.  Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. 1 John 3:7-8

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 24 of Advent, and today John Piper highlights two purposes for Christmas - that is why Jesus came into the world (incarnation). Jesus came into the world to defeat sin and to enable believers to battle sin - fearlessly. The second purpose is to forgive and take away sins.  Piper refers us to not just 1 John 3:7-8, but also 1 John 3:5, and 1 John 2:1-2.  Piper shares how these two purposes work together and that "[f]orgiveness is not for the purpose of permitting sin."  Indeed - we should battle sin with an aim to defeat sin. Pursue Christ!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of compassion and grace for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your grace and compassion.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.