Tuesday, December 6, 2022

 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!

Luke 2

 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased! Luke 2:12-14

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 6 of Advent, and today Piper examines Luke 2:12-14 where an angel praises God and offers what Piper refers to as a "somber note" of warning - peace is only offered and promised "among those with whom [God] is pleased."  Piper reminds us (see Hebrews 11:6) that "without faith it is impossible to please God," underscoring his warning with this: "[s]o, Christmas does not bring peace to all."  Piper then describes how scripture includes many references (John 3:19, Luke 2:34-35) with how, even though Jesus offers "light," many continue to prefer "darkness" - of course precluding them from the peace offered during Christmas in the text in Luke 2:12-14.  On the flip side, for those of us who DO have faith and believe, God adopts us as one of His children (John 1:11-12), and we are promised the peace just as Jesus only offered peace to His disciples in John 14:27.  As Piper moves close the devotion he points to Romans 15:13 stating: "[t]he key that unlocks the treasure chest of God’s peace is faith in the promises of God." Believe and unlock the promises of God that offer peace and so much more!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who blesses me with peace and so much more!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how faithful You are to Your promises, etc.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.