Monday, December 19, 2022

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

Hebrews 2

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. Hebrews 2:14-15

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 19 of Advent, and today John Piper explores freedom from fear and anxiety.  Of course, all of humanity at one point or another struggles with fear or anxiety over one thing or another.  Nearly all of us have some level of fear over death.  Piper's opening salvo in today's devotion says "Jesus became man because what was needed was the death of a man who was more than man. The incarnation was God’s locking himself into death row. Christ did not risk death. He chose death. He embraced it. That is precisely why he came" (to serve and not to be served - Mark 10:45).  Although Satan tried to turn Jesus from the cross, Satan failed.  Piper describes how Jesus "stripped Satan of [his] power."  Now that Satan has no power - believers can no longer be condemned (Romans 8:1).  Piper wraps today's devotion by sharing how freedom from condemnation gives believers freedom from anxiety over anything from the smallest details of our lives to death itself.  Rejoice in the freedom that Christ gives us!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of compassion and grace for me.  You give me freedom from anxiety and from fear of death.  Thank You Jesus!  What an awesome God You are.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues....daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.