Friday, December 9, 2022

When Herod the king heard [about the birth of the king of the Jews], he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him[.]

Matthew 2

When Herod the king heard [about the birth of the king of the Jews], he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him[.] Matthew 2:3

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper seeks for believers to prepare our hearts for Christmas.  Today's Solid Joys daily devotion marks day 9 of Advent, and today Piper examines the reaction of Herod, and all of Jerusalem, to the birth of Jesus, and Piper  contrasts these reactions to that of the chief priests and scribes, and he makes a broader point about the "two kinds of people who do not want to worship Jesus." First, we see in v3 how both Herod and all of Jerusalem are "troubled." Then in v4-6 we see the reaction of the chief priests and scribes and the only known aspect of their reaction is that they see Jesus' birth as the fulfillment of prophecy (referencing Micah 5:2 and other prophecies:

[Herod] inquired of [the chief priests and scribes] where the Christ was to be born. They told him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet: “‘And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for from you shall come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.’” Matthew 2:4b-6

What's amazing, as pointed out by John Piper, is "[t]he sheer silence and inactivity of the leaders is overwhelming in view of the magnitude of what was happening." They actually acknowledged that Jesus was fulfillment of prophecy, yet they had no desire to seek out Jesus.  Piper indicates the chief priests and and scribes represent the first group of people who do not want to worship Jesus: "They are not passionate about finding the Son of God and worshiping him."  These people are indifferent to Jesus.  They don't see a need for Him.

Piper then moves on to the second group of people who do not want to worship Jesus.  These are those "deeply threatened by" Jesus.  This includes Herod - who is "troubled."  Piper shares how Herod is so troubled that "he schemes and lies and then commits mass murder just to get rid of Jesus" (see v16).

Of course, Piper, nor does Jesus, want anyone to be either indifferent or hostile to Christ.  We are encouraged to believe, and follow Jesus, regardless of the cost.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace and compassion.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message to me today and every day.