Sunday, August 25, 2024

Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.

 James 5:17-18

Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit. James 5:17-18

My preparation for teaching this morning on James 5:12-20 ends this morning as I made (what I believe to be) the final tweaks to the presentation I will use to guide our discussion based on an exploration of the question that has lingered this week: why do you think the example of Elijah is provided for prayer in vv17-18?  My source this morning for final preparation is a post from DesiringGod.com from Tony Merida entitled Learning from an Insane Prayer Life. Excerpts from this post regarding why Elijah is an example of prayer in James 5:17-18:

  • There are many reasons why one can believe Elijah is not like us: "Elijah’s life is dazzling. Ravens bring him food; God uses a widow to provide daily bread for him in Baal’s territory; Elijah prays and God raises the widow’s son from the dead. Elijah wins the showdown against the prophets of Baal at Carmel; he called down fire from heaven; and he struck down 450 false prophets. Plus, he was an athlete! He ran seventeen miles from Carmel down to Jezreel, outrunning horses and chariots. Elijah was like Moses whom he later appeared with at the Transfiguration of Jesus (Matthew 17:1–7). Like Moses, Elijah went eastward for a season, after an initial confrontation. Like Moses, he lived on God’s abundant provision of bread, meat, and water (Exodus 16). Elijah was also like John the Baptist, whom he is associated with in the New Testament (Malachi 4:5; Luke 1:17). Elijah is a mega prophet, whose coming was to pave the way for the Messianic Age. In many ways, he is not like us."
  • "Yet, in the New Testament James makes an extraordinary statement when he says that Elijah was a “man like us.” Us? Yes. While Elijah does hold a unique place in redemptive history, James focuses on the fact that every believer can have an effective prayer life like Elijah."
  • "The language James uses is the language Paul and Barnabas used in Lystra, when the people wanted to worship them as gods (Acts 14:15). “We also are men, of like nature with you.”"
  • Elijah “was simply claiming the promise of God” that famine was the punishment for idolatry; Deuteronomy 11:16–17

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who uses human agents to help us understand Your Word so that scripture and Your message for us can be clear for us to better understand, love, follow, and glorify You - that is why we exist!  Thank You Jesus for the commentaries and other tools You provide for a better understanding of Your Word.  I am not deserving of this blessing nor any blessing You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.