Friday, August 30, 2024

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

1 Timothy 1

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 1 Timothy 1:5

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy, using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for these books. Today, I look at 1 Timothy 1:3–5, Part 1. Excerpts from the video entitled The Problem with Christian Speculations:

  • The core of the message is Paul instructing Timothy how to deal with false teaching in the church at Ephesus as he moves on to Macedonia, leaving Timothy behind in Ephesus
  • In his instruction to Timothy, Paul provides two negative charges in vv3-4 and one positive charge in v5 
  • The first negative charge is in v3 where Timothy is to prevent "certain persons" from teaching anything but sound doctrine; see also 1 Timothy 1:10-11, 1 Timothy 6:3-4, 1 Timothy 6:20 for Paul's thoughts on sound and healthy doctrine that accords with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God, and how sound doctrine is defined - doctrine that accords with Godliness.  The reference to 1 Timothy 6:20 addresses how we should "guard" this sound doctrine.
  • The second negative charge is in v4 where Piper shares how many at the time the letter was written focused on interesting and fascinating "speculations" but these speculations regarding scripture were made up, not gospel centered, and did not forward the mission of the gospel.  Piper shares how myths and genealogies were "fictions" and led people away from sound and healthy doctrine. See also 2 Timothy 4:3-4, 1 Timothy 4:6-7, Titus 1:13-14, 3:8-9 where Paul refers to myths and genealogies elsewhere, including references to Old Testament (often called "the law") where Paul calls out how some twisted sound doctrine, leading not to truth but speculations.
  • Finally, while not explored in more detail, Piper provides the final charge from the text - to love others per v5 

Praise God for resources that exist for me to better understand sound doctrine, including DesiringGod.com, my church, commentaries, my brothers and sisters in Christ, etc.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: You are an awesome God whose Word is God and is perfect not needing anything to be added or subtracted...thank You for Your Word and how it is alive and working in my heart and in the hearts of believers every where.  I am not deserving of how Your Word and the Spirit work in my life.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.