Monday, August 26, 2024

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope...

1 Timothy 1

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope...1 Timothy 1:1

This morning I embark on a study of 1 and 2 Timothy as my church seeks nominations for deacons - a key leadership position within the church.  As such, I seek Godly wisdom on what scripture indicates as key qualifications for leadership generally, and the deacon position specifically, and 1 Timothy offers such text.  For my study this morning, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series, starting with the video for 1 Timothy 1:1-2, Part 1. Excerpts from the video:

  • Paul writes Timothy as both an apostle and as father to a child, balancing his role as a church authority and his role as a mentor (discipleship maker) of Timothy, whom Paul loves dearly and in whom Paul sees great potential
  • in v1, Paul is writing Timothy by command of Jesus; John Piper refers us to Luke 6:13 where Jesus set aside twelve of his disciples as apostles; these are authoritative representatives of the sender (Jesus)
  • Paul describes his own grace-filled arrival as an apostle in 1 Corinthians 15:7-9
  • The special role of apostles is described in John 16:12-13 where Jesus promises the Holy Spirit to guide the apostle in their words; promise from Jesus; see also John 14:26 where Jesus makes His own provision of His voice through the Holy Spirit to the apostles 
  • 1 cor 14:37-38 describes the authority of an apostle
  • The apostles became the foundation of church Ephesians 2:19-20; as such the New Testament and the Apostolic writings are foundation of church
  • Paul's role as an apostle described in Acts 9:1-16 where we see Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus road; here Paul is commanded into his role
  • 1 Timothy 1:12-14 Paul thanks Jesus as commands can be described as merciful

This video provides an excellent example of how the Bible itself is the inerrant Word of God - apologetics

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who uses human agents to lead the church and serve as the foundation for Your Word to reach all of humanity - a mission You gave the apostles and the church. Thank You for the apostles and for how You give us commentaries and other tools to give us for a better understanding of Your Word and for us to see Your Word as the inerrant Word of God.  I am not deserving of this blessing nor any blessing You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.