Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.

James 5:12-20

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. James 5:16a

My preparation for teaching this upcoming Sunday 25AUG on James 5:12-20 continues and this morning my focus today is a commentary-assisted review of the text, leaning on the Christ-Centered Exposition series volume for this book. First, the commentary describes v12 as a "hard-left" (off course from key topics patience in previous verses and prayer in next verses).  It shares, referring us to James 3 where he is talking about taming the tongue: "faith that perseveres is trustworthy in speech. The words from our mouths should be so consistent and dependable that they guarantee reliability." 

Excerpts from the commentary on 5:13-18, in a section entitled Prayerful in Sorrow:

  • We are reminded again that patience and waiting on the Lord requires prayer; when you are hurting, happy, anxious, etc.; prayer with the elders who will pray over you
  • Use of oil in v14 discussed as symbolic, as setting apart someone who is sick as needing attention and care from God; "[t]his is the only place in the New Testament letters where anointing a sick person with oil is even mentioned, and many healings occurred without anointing. The emphasis is on praying and not just to pray with the elders but, according to James 5:16, to pray with the church."
  • Confess sins to one another and pray for one another - v16a
  • On the power and effectiveness of prayer - v16b - the example of Elijah in vv17-18, is provided per the commentary to help us learn the secret to power and effectiveness in prayer (John 14:14): "to ask for something in the name of Christ is to ask for something according to His Word and for His glory. So when you pray, you need to start by making your wants God’s wants."
  • We should also pray to change our desire to His desires

 Excerpts from the commentary on 5:19-20, in a section entitled Loving Towards Sinners:

  • These two verses describe "the seventh and final characteristic of faith that lasts."
  • Look out for brothers and sisters in Christ
  • V19 specifically describes "earthly restoration"
  • Commentary emphasizes the doctrine of eternal security and how this is accomplished through community; we must look out for one another  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome incredible God who has given me incredible, supportive and Christ-like community in my family and in my church-thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of how You saved me and give me such a community.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.   Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.