Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope...

1 Timothy 1

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope...1 Timothy 1:1

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy. This morning, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series, starting with the video for 1 Timothy 1:1-2, Part 2. Excerpts from the video entitled God Is Our Savior From What:

John Piper begins the video by examining, as the title of the video explicitly implies, 1 Timothy 1:1, the use of the word Savior and the question saved from what.

  • Paul's role as apostle is animated by saving others as he for "endures everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory (2 Timothy 2:10)." 
  • There is a worldview implied with the word Savior that the fundamental problem with humanity and the world is sin and preconversion all of humanity is under condemnation and must be saved; Jesus introduces this condition to us; see Titus 3:3-7, Romans 5:9, 8:1, John 3:36
  • This is why God - the originator of salvation - sent Jesus Christ; see also 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10
  • God is first and foremost our Savior, through Jesus BEFORE the ages began; God planned salvation and grace before any sin or condemnation even existed and fulfilled through Jesus; see 2 Timothy 1:8-10
  • Titus 2:11-13 describes the same hope referred to in text today.

We do need saving and we should be thankful for our salvation.  Praise Jesus who is the Alpha and the Omega!  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who provides salvation and works through Your Word, the church, the Holy Spirit, etc to bring the Good News of the Gospel throughout the world.  Thank You for saving me!  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.