Sunday, August 11, 2024

The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

 Ecclesiastes 12:9-14

The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Ecclesiastes 12:11-12

I continue to wind down my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus remains the commentary exploring 12:9-14, which are the last five verses of Ecclesiastes.  Using the commentary's one final chapter entitled The Preacher on Preaching (Wisdom from a Wise Wordsmith), I reviewed the second division discussed in this commentary chapter is Ecclesiastes 12:11-12.   

Excerpts from this division in the commentary: 

  • "Wise words are like goads. They prod the sluggish and hesitant into action. They have a power to provide a mental and spiritual stimulus, a spiritual shot in the arm. These collected saying are like well-driven nails. They stabilize on the one hand and on the other give us something to hang things on."
  • "The end of verse 11 is a direct declaration of divine inspiration. The “knowledge” of verse 9 and the “words of truth” of verse 10 are given by one Shepherd, the Lord who is my Shepherd (Psalm 23), the good shepherd, Jesus Christ (John 10). The Christological signal is too obvious to ignore or neglect."
  • "Solomon the realist knows there is no end to book making. Just imagine if he were alive today! And yet he is not down on books, study, or knowledge in principle. He is down on it as an end in itself. Knowledge is not the same as wisdom. It is possible to be smart but not intelligent. It is possible to know a lot but not be wise. God’s design for our lives is not to make us smart sinners but godly saints!"
  • "If we are not careful and wise, we can linger too long at the “Vanity Fair of Knowledge” only to miss out on the wisdom of God and on a life that is really worth living."
  • "Some of us have stayed too long at various Vanity Fairs in life (knowledge, power, sex, popularity, wealth). We have played the fool and given our lives to the wrong things. There is a better way. Let God’s Word guide your priorities. Let God’s Word chart the course of your life. “Fear God and keep His commandments.” That is where Solomon is taking us as he ends his book."

 Amen!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me Your Word as lamp to my feet so that I know how to please You and this blesses my life.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation nor any of the the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.