Saturday, August 17, 2024

Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.

1 Samuel 1

Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad. 1 Samuel 1:18b

As a follow up to a presentation I prepared for teaching and discussion in Sunday school tomorrow, I sought further study on the topic of waiting for the Lord.  I found this awesome short podcast episode - entitled The Miracle of Waiting Faithfully - from DesiringGod.com's Ask Pastor John podcast series. This short podcast highlighted the story of Hannah in 1 Samuel 1 where the Bible chronicled her struggle with infertility.  In 1 Samuel 1:10, scripture shares that Hannah "was deeply distressed and prayed to the LORD and wept bitterly." In v11, Hannah makes a vow to the Lord that if He gives her a son, then she will give him back to the Lord.  This is amazing on many levels - because first Hannah recognizes that it is God alone that provides all things, including life.  Next, while Hannah desperately wants a son, she knows that all life is created to bring glory to the Lord - that human life exists to glorify God.  Of course, since the Fall we know that sin and evil exists also, but we also know that God has providence over Satan and sin and God uses Satan to serve Himself (see John Piper post here) - there is mystery over how God does this but we can take comfort that as John Piper says, Satan's will is not decisive, God's is.  Hannah's prayer and petition to the Lord is pleasing to Him and one of the priests at the temple - Eli - tells Hannah to no longer be anxious but instead to go in peace (v17).  It's not entirely clear but it seems implied that Eli conveys a message from God that Hannah should go in peace because God both heard her prayer and told Eli that it would be answered. In v18b, Hannah "went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad."  This is the definition of supernatural peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7)! The podcast guest shares that "I think a lot of times we are praying for things that we have no intention of giving back to God in the first place.  I wonder if Hannah’s heart had changed in such a way where everything that she was going to get from God, and everything that she wanted to get from God, she only wanted it for his glory. I think that part is what changed her heart so that she was able to walk away and no longer be sad by what seemed to be an unanswered prayer — before the prayer was even answered.... I think God is always doing a variety of things in secret that we don’t realize or don’t see. I think the miraculous thing is that faith is not natural to me; sin is, rebellion is, unbelief is. The miraculous thing is that God will somehow use my waiting as a means to grow my faith so that I could see Jesus and want Jesus and crave Jesus."  Crave Jesus indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of incredible grace, compassion, and mercies...and these blessings are daily!  Thank You Jesus for making me one of Your elect.  I am NOT deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.