Thursday, August 29, 2024

To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Timothy 1

To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy. This morning, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series, watching the video for 1 Timothy 1:1-2, Part 4. Excerpts from the video entitled The Fatherhood of God and the Lordship of Christ:

John Piper begins the video by examining, as the title of the video explicitly implies, 1 Timothy 1:2, and the references to God the (our) Father and Christ Jesus our (the) Lord. Excerpts from the video:

  • Piper wants us to experience God as Father, and as Lord, and for this to sink in what this experience truly means to us; these experiences are mediated to/for us through the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is the worker in the Holy Trinity (see also Romans 8:14-17, Galatians 4:4-6).  The meaning of being a Christian is that Spirit of Jesus Christ fills our hearts.  See also 1 Corinthians 12:3 where we can't say Jesus is Lord and mean it without truly experiencing it by the Holy Spirit.
  • 1 Corinthians 8:5-6; both Father and Lord together in this text and God the Father is both the ultimate source and goal of all things and the Lord Jesus is the person through whom all things come and exist, including ourselves.  See also 1 John 1:1-3.  All things were made from the Father and through Jesus.  Looking at Paul's reference to grace, mercy and peace in v2 of today's text, Piper refers us to Titus 3:4-7.  Grace and mercy are God's goodness provided to someone who is both undeserving and in need of care, and God justifies us, providing peace with Jesus (see also Romans 5:1). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for helping gain a deeper understanding of Yourself and the Holy Trinity.  Thank You for giving me life and for the Holy Spirit working in my heart.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.