Wednesday, August 28, 2024

To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Timothy 1

To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy leaning on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series for these two books, this morning watching the video for 1 Timothy 1:1-2, Part 3

John Piper begins the video by examining, as the title of the video explicitly implies, 1 Timothy 1:2, and why Paul is referring to Timothy as his child. 

Excerpts from the video entitled How Is Timothy Paul's Child?:

  • The word true in v2 is used because of how Timothy came to faith, due to Paul's work in missions and ministry.  In many senses, Paul feels that a Timothy is more truly an offspring of him than of Timothy's own biological father due to the faith relationship he has with Timothy and this relationship is deeper and eternal. See also Philemon 9-10, 1 Corinthians 4:15.
  • 1 Peter 1:23 describes how the Word of God is causing someone to be born again, bringing you back into union with Jesus Christ.
  • See Acts 16:1-3 for how Paul in his second missionary journey took Timothy under his wing having already been a believer and identified as someone with great promise as a church leader; see also Acts 14:5-6 where it is inferred that Timothy became a believer in Paul's first missionary journey to the same places Derbe and Lystra referred to in both Acts 16 and 14.
  • 1 Corinthians 4:17 and Philippians 2:19-22 describe how Paul refers to Timothy as a trustworthy and extraordinary value as a man of faith.  Philippians in particular shares an endorsement where Paul states that he has "no one like him" and also once again as a son.  This says much considering others in Paul's company such as Luke and Barnabas. 

Incredible text about an apostle and a discipleship relationship this apostle has with someone under his tutelage.  This text offers incredible encouragement for young believers to seek discipleship relationships with older believers and for older believers to pour into younger believers (or other believers with less spiritual maturity).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus You are an incredible God who serves as the ultimate disciple maker as You pour into me daily with grace and compassion that knows no limits.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You pour into me and how You place others in my life to pour into me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Please give Lisa and myself wisdom, energy and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.