Saturday, August 3, 2024

Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ecclesiastes 9:1-10

Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:20-21

I continue my study of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book. My focus today is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 9:1-10, going back over this text which I have previously covered over the past four days.  Specifically for today my focus is how the commentary extends (and closes) an examination of this text with a section entitled Jesus Delivers from Death and Gives Abundant, Eternal Life

Excerpts from this section of the commentary:

  • "Ecclesiastes depicts in great detail the curse of sin and death. Death’s tyranny makes life meaningless because if this life is all there is, then death cancels everything out. You cannot take your money with you. Your legacy will ultimately be forgotten. Nothing you did really seems to matter. Some scholars look at this and say Ecclesiastes believes there is nothing beyond the grave, but that is wrong. Ecclesiastes does not teach annihilation; it teaches uncertainty.  Solomon purposefully takes on this particular human perspective, and he says we cannot know for sure if anything lies beyond death because none of us has ever gone there and come back."
  • "However, we do know something is out there, and we long for it because eternity is in our hearts (Ecclesiastes 3:11). What Ecclesiastes aches for, the New Testament presents to us. Paul wrote to the church at Rome to tell them that death did enter the world through one man, but life also came into the world through one man (Romans 5:12-21)."
  • "However, the promise is not just for eternal life; the promise is also for abundant life (John 10:10)—living life to the fullest as it was meant to be lived."
  • "The good news is that Jesus came to redeem us so that we can begin to live according to God’s good design."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who died for the sin of all humanity so that Your elect can have life now to the full and for eternity.  Thank You Jesus for the greatest gift of all time - amazing grace indeed!  I am not deserving of such grace.  My sin is great and it continues..daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.