Thursday, August 22, 2024

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

James 5:12-20

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20

My preparation for teaching this upcoming Sunday 25AUG on James 5:12-20 continues and this morning my focus is further exploration on the doctrine of eternal security, which is a subject I started exploring yesterday.  This morning, I lean on an episode of the Ask Pastor John podcast series (found on DesiringGod.com) that digs into this important subject. The question at hand from a listener of the podcast is how based on a reading of Romans 8:29-30 how glorification can be conditional.  The listener asks this question because he is inferring and assuming that glorification can be conditional based on a Twitter (X) post of John Piper and a recalled line the listener has from one of Piper's books entitled Five Points, Towards a Deeper Experience of God’s Grace. John Piper responds, setting the record straight unequivocally that glorification is not conditional.   He then points to 1 Corinthians 15:1–2, Colossians 1:22–23, Mark 13:13, Revelation 2:10 where people's reading of this text leads them to incorrectly assume that believers once saved and justified cannot be glorified.  Piper then states that yes, we must continue and persevere in our faith but once saved, God Himself "will infallibly keep us from falling."  Piper then refers us to 1 Corinthians 1:8, Philippians 1:6, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Jude 24–25 where scripture backs up this statement.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who saved me, and who is saving a place for me in Heaven....thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.