Tuesday, August 13, 2024

You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door.

 James 5:7-11

You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door. James 5:8-9

I continue a pause of my study of Ecclesiastes to prepare to lead Sunday school for the next two Sundays - with this upcoming Sunday looking at James 5:7-11, and Sunday 25AUG looking at James 5:12-20.  Yesterday, I reviewed James 5:7-11 and documented my thoughts based on an unassisted review (no commentary).  This morning, I lean on commentary provided by the Christ-Centered Exposition series volume for this book

Excerpts from the commentary:

  • "The theme of this part of the letter is clear: patience is mentioned twice in verse 7 and once each in verses 8 and 10 while the words “endured” and “endurance” are used in verse 11. James gives us three pictures of patience to encourage us."
  • The three pictures of patience described in the commentary (and in the text) include (1) "like a farmer: waiting for the harvest," trusting in God in circumstances we cannot control - like the weather - to provide just the right balance of weather needed for a harvest, understanding that too much, too little rain, too much heat, or too much cold could have deleterious effects on the harvest, and "honoring God with what you can control" avoiding grumbling and complaining as an example from v9; (2) "be patient like a prophet: speaking the truth.  Much like the farmer, the prophet reminds us that patience does not necessarily mean inactivity. A farmer doesn’t just sit back waiting for the rain: he works. Likewise, a prophet in the middle of persecution stood boldly and spoke out against injustice. In the middle of hardship, we are to speak about the goodness, the greatness, the judgment, and the mercy of God. Times of suffering are often the most golden opportunity to speak a word for the glory of God;" and (3) "like Job: hoping in God’s purpose.... Remember that it took 42 chapters for the purpose of suffering in Job’s life to be revealed, and only at the end did he confess, “I had heard rumors about You, but now my eyes have seen You. Therefore I take back my words and repent in dust and ashes” (Job 42:5-6). This is a good reminder for us: Whatever you are walking through is not the end of the story. The end will reveal that the Lord is indeed “very compassionate and merciful” (James 5:11). You can’t see it, but be patient, hoping in God’s purpose."
Jesus wants us to be completely dependent on Him, and scripture makes it clear that obedience to Him can ONLY be through Him.  For example, Jesus sets what appears to be an impossibly high bar for how to love - love one another as He loves us (John 13:34-35).  Here, in James, God/Jesus/Holy Spirit (through James) seeks for us to be as patient as Job - once again an incredibly high bar but we must remember that it is not through our own efforts that we love as Jesus loves or be patient as Job is patient, but through loving, trusting and surrendering our lives to Jesus, allowing Him to mold us into more of His image. #Sanctification.
 
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and and who is full of amazing grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and compassion.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.