Thursday, May 8, 2014

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone."

Luke 11

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone." v42

Once again, I am reminded of how we are to focus first and foremost on the two most important commands (1) to love God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength, (2) to love others as yourself.  

The Pharisees concerned themselves with external behavior vs their heart condition and love of God. 

God does expect ongoing maturation of our faith:

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[a] and of faith in God...Hebrews 6:1

...

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

My Prayer: Lord, You provide abundantly and You provide sufficiently...I need look anywhere else but You for all of my needs.  What a great God You are!  I am not deserving of a God who loves me so much that You provide and are full of such mercy, kindness, patience, etc.  I am prideful, quick to anger, impatient, harsh with my words, etc.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from such sin.  Help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.