Thursday, August 4, 2016

Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.

Psalm 119

Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. v37

I often find myself being distracted by things of this world.  It is not wrong to enjoy the comforts of this world or to depend on people or things in this world, but we cannot let people or things get in the way of our relationship with Jesus Christ.

In posted the following earlier this year:


In Matthew 8, Jesus responds to a disciple that sought to attend to his family instead of focusing on God: 


Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”  But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Matthew 8:21-22

The primacy of our relationship with Jesus vs our earthly relationships is supported elsewhere in scripture:

Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.  A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.” 
“Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked.
Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” Mark 3:31-35
 
Our relationship with God is the most important aspect of our lives, and we are encouraged to surround ourselves with others who act as such.
 
From Psalm 1 we are encouraged to cultivate an ongoing relationship with God - day and night:
 
Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers,but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.  That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.  Not so the wicked!  They are like chaff that the wind blows away.  Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.  For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.
 
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are, You created all things, are in all things, hold all things together.  You have blessed me well beyond what I deserve - thank You Jesus for the overwhelming love You pour out for me on a daily basis.  I am not worth such love and blessings.  I am easily distracted by the things of this world - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.