Friday, August 19, 2016

I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word. My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.

Psalm 119

I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word. My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises. v147-148

Just as Moses was leading the Israelites into the promised land, he passes on a message to them, encouraging them to "[l]ove the Lord the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength":

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Daily study and prayer are critical spiritual disciplines - see posts here. Through these disciplines, we better understand God, His character, and His attributes.  We better know His will for our lives.  We are protected, encouraged, etc.  The more we know about God, the more we will love Him, for He is a great God.

My Prayer: Lord You are without a doubt a great God and without You I would be lost.  Thank You for Your guidance and Your many, many blessings.  I am not worth these blessings and Your love but You provide them anyway - Thank You Jesus.  My worry and stress continues to be a part of my life so please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.