Monday, December 12, 2016

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Proverbs 18

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. v21

James also speaks of the power of the tongue:

Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water. James 3:5:12

Earlier in Proverbs 18 it says:

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame. v13

As such James says:

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. James 1:19-20

I must guard my heart so my words can be used to build up others, encourage them and not tear them down.

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the Word and the Word is You and it is flawless, alive, and suitable for all purposes.  Thank You God for sending Your Son, the Holy Spirit, the Word, the church, brothers and sisters in Christ, etc...all for me!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such efforts.  I am very often slow to listen, quick to speak and quick to anger.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead both Zach and Dustin to You Jesus so that You become their Lord and Savior.  Help me lead and serve my family in ways that You desire and intend.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.